- The Tenants Association spoke to Brooklyn 12 News about the attempt by Mordichai Nagel, the owner of 85 Eastern Parkway, to divide seven apartments into 14 smaller and in the process get rid of rent-stabilization
The Real Deal (23 December 2015): Tenants Claim BK Landlord Tried to Illegally Subdivide Units, This article was picked up by NewsBKcom, Realestatenewspublisher, fastCRE and KingsCourtRealty.com.
DNAinfo.com (23 December 2015): Landlord Illegally Subsiding Units at Prospect Heights Building: Tenants - Prospect Heights
New York Magazine (20 April 2014): The Approval Matrix - Week of 21 April - 85 EP's owner located at the intersection of despicable and lowbrow.
Buzzbuzzhome (11 April 2014): In Prospect Heights, 85 Eastern Parkway Residents upset over expansion plans
DNAinfo.com (10 April 2014): Eastern Parkway Residents Fear 7-Story Apartment Building Addition
Curbed.com New York (10 April 2014): Huge Addition to Prospect Building Worries Tenants
Curbed.com New York (13 January 2014): Double The Fun
What people say
- Laurie Cumbo, Council woman, 35 District of Brooklyn, shared in a letter to DOB Borough Commissioner, Ira Gluckman, a list of issues linked to the possible construction of an additional 7 stories to the building. Ms. Cumbo said "our concerns are for the safety and well-being of the tenants of 85 Eastern Parkway and the residents of the block" and urged Mr. Gluckman to address these issues.
- @lastbohemians: @85epta @CurbedNY This is an evil plot to chase out rent-stabilized tenants, as well as to slap on luxury housing. Dylan Foley 175 EP [on Twitter]
- "The whole block is in an uproar," said 23-year resident Alison Kelley, who walks with a service dog and worries about elevator access to her fourth-floor apartment during construction. [in DNAinfo article]
- "We want an amicable solution," said Jim Purvis, a member of the 85 EPTA. "If this turns into a turf war, everybody will lose." [in DNAinfo article]
Information for the media
Filing to the DOB by the owner of 85 Eastern Parkway (85 EP) for the potential addition of 7 stories to the existing 1922 building
Letter by 85 Eastern Parkway Tenants Association Inc. to the owner of 85 EP regarding this project
Response by the building manager of 85 EP on behalf of the owner
Stop Work Order issued by the DOB for violations in the work done in apartment 1D
Factsheet: construction issues on adding seven stories to The Martha Washington